A bookstore is a necessary part of any formal educational experience. These stores contain books that are full of information that is ideal to use in any environment that is dedicated to learning. This is just as true for homeschool bookstores as it is for traditional school bookstores. The only difference here is that the ideal bookstore for your homeschooling needs actually caters to homeschool students.
While there are a lot of materials that are just as useful for homeschool students as they are for traditional school students, there are some textbooks that have been specially made for homeschooling purposes and thus they are even better to use in such an environment.
Keep in mind that you must have the right materials in order to be able to provide your child with a complete homeschool education. Therefore, there are some things that a homeschool bookstore will carry.
Course Materials – Homeschool Bookstore
The ideal homeschool bookstore will only start with homeschool books. While these books are the main learning tool in most educational settings, there are other items that are also used.
Worksheets are also another important thing to have since they allow your child to complete exercises that correspond with the lessons that are found within their textbooks. This is also what you will base grades on and keep for in your child’s portfolio at the end of the year. A good bookstore understands your needs for these items to be available at a reasonable price. Therefore, they will be able to save you money.
Additional Supplies To Find In A Home School Bookstore
A homeschool bookstore should also have miscellaneous homeschool supplies for sale. Usually, this will include such things as:
- Additional teaching materials (i.e. homeschool software for additional interactive learning, homeschool videos for students who are visual learners)
- Supplies for doing homeschool science experiments
- Tools for homeschool record keeping (i.e. homeschool report cards) whether you want paper-based or computer-based items
Great Bookstores To Check Out
There really are some great homeschool bookstores that you should check out. These include:
- Usborne Books has more than 1,400 books. Over the years they have earned numerous awards and high reviews from homeschoolers. You can even receive a discount on your purchases simply by signing up to be a consultant. This will also allow you to sell Usborne books to friends so that you can make a little extra money.
- Cornerstone Learning Connections strives to provide you with the most interactive shopping experience possible. They also want to provide you with the best selection of high-quality child-centered learning materials. This makes their bookstore a great place to go whenever you are educating “outside the box” (i.e. hands-on learning, unschooling).
- Good Steward Books offers discounted Christian Books.
- Hewitt Homeschooling offers a “balanced, flexible and complete approach to homeschooling.”
- Homeschooling From The Heart is committed to offering only the very best resources for your family.
- Learning Things has a lot to offer. This includes grade-level sets, activities camp, games, art supplies, Bible camp, materials about the world’s various religions, materials to help you teach elective subjects, and materials for teaching foreign languages. They also have brand names such as Scholastic Books, School Zone, Scientific Explorer and Scott Foresman Books.
- Light Of Faith Online is a great source whenever you are looking for family-strengthening, faith-building, Christ-exalting materials.
- Pennywise Learning is owned and operated by a homeschool family that is committed to providing the best homeschool products at the most affordable prices. Their website went live in 2001 and since then they have served more than 15,000 families. They take great pride in their ability to offer exceptional service to each and every one of their customers.
- Timberdoodle has been serving the homeschool community for over 20 years now. They specialize in Christian, hands-on learning materials.
- Curriculum Express sells only what they believe to be the finest self-instructional curriculum available for homeschoolers today.
You will know you have found a great homeschool bookstore whenever it is the first place that you think of or head to whenever you are in need of new homeschool supplies. While it may take you some time to find such a bookstore, in the end, it will be time well worth spent. After all, this is a place that you will need to use for many years to come as homeschooling is usually a 12-year journey for most families.